Shams, The Calligrapher

اُردو                پښتو

S
hamsul Iqbal Shams is a renowned personality of the Swat. Not only he, his father is also a very famous person of the area. His father was a poet and a religious personality. Mr. Shams belongs to Saidu Sharif, Swat. By profession he is serving as a government employee. I know him since long when my father was transferred to Swat. During my vacations from college, I used to go to my father office as he called me and introduced me to Mr. Shams there at Saidu Sharif. I was revealed that he is not only a poet but a calligrapher too. He invited me to his home and showed me his personal library and all his work collection. I was surprised, he has a great work in calligraphy and his specialty is that he is not only work on paper but on leather sheets, dried leaves, vegetables and stones too. More of his work is on stone and dried goods. His work was displayed at his “Bethak” (Drawing room) and it is his studio / workshop too. He uses this place to meet the guest there who visits him. I saw so many things around him and found him in the center. I captured some pictures. I met him in the early months of 2002; some of the pictures are sharing here.He has been awarded from Government of Pakistan and Provincial Government. He exhibited his work many exhibitions around the country and not only Pakistani, the foreigners also appraised his work.
He is a very loving, caring and very polite person. He is a poet, calligrapher and a religious peace loving person. He usually use stone for his work and do calligraphy on them. He has a collection of stones on which the names of Allah, Muhammad PBUH and other secret words (kalmaat) are founded. He uses to go to river Swat in the winter seasons in his free time and search for some good stones for his calligraphy and during that search he found many of the secret words written stones.
Here am sharing some pictures of him and his work taken in 2002.
 












Comments